Primary goal: Gather data to provide feedback (and immediate bad conscience) regarding time management - both to decrease slack permeating and diluting (or just postponing) worktime, and to allow for focused time for intense relaxation.
Comparatively low priority for now: Health/exercise/mood tracking. (Too many solutions focus on this.)
Constraints: Linux, ideally open source + no cloud. Possibly Android, but I hate using my phone.
- email analytics: https://github.com/mihaip/mail-trends
- tried out; updated wiki + pushed out fork handling charset problems properly
- some nice plots, but ultimately nothing much useful in them
- sleep tracking: using Sleep as Android (questionable usefulness; mine+correlate existing data?)
- TODO: extract data (/data/data/com.urbandroid.sleep https://sites.google.com/site/sleepasandroid/developer-api)
- location logging: TODO collect `iwlist scan` data
- logging workstation tty idle times: TODO write own C tool, `w` is too much pain
- time tracking: TODO try rescuetime.com
- ruza says its blocking functionality is not so useful in practice
- time tracking: TODO hamster? - tried it some time ago, problem is, manual text entry is tedious, cannot capture rapid/unexpected activity changes (brief switch to mailbox+irssi… t+5min., oops, not so brief) - needs massive automation, fluid hotkeys for recent activities AND activity reminder; also, needs to seamlessly aggregate over multiple systems (not all of them with GNOME3, too); its datastore may be suitable backend for other tools?
- possible key for automation: http://arbtt.nomeata.de/ (thx 2 jenda)
- set up, sample rate 5s
- TODO make use of the data
- TODO go to tab level in konsole?
- Android phone data: TODO call information, app_running+unlocked time data, alarm set + alarm silenced times
- TODO logging all keystrokes? rather controversial ;)
- log only histograms over 5 minute intervals or some such
Time Tracker Box
Physical device to collect work/slack info with no overhead + automated data acquisition. TODO
- email: even a simple thing like “show only new mails by default in mutt” has helped a lot!
- TODO email: redirect automated daily emails to a different mbox _AND_ batch it all up to a daily digest
- TODO visualization + aggregation
- TODO try rescuetime.com for autoblocking?
- TODO focus enhancement: firefox,irssi rapid theme switch based on activity + OSD countup timer for out-of-focus activity?
- TODO focus enhancement: OSD display of current (desired) activity? small OSD focus charm?
- TODO gamification: score counting for work activities; multipliers for properly tagged activities
- TODO URL accumulator (mainly from IRC): to avoid breaking focus by having to click on an url immediately
- TODO personal dashboard: current stats + outstanding items + substitution for my current `todo` text file (simple appointment planning + project status)