[Brmlab] most secure web browser for a laptop/desktop computer

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Fri Mar 14 23:28:17 CET 2014

  Hi!

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 09:44:03AM +0100, timothyhobbs at seznam.cz wrote:
> These text based
> browsers have an advantage, for us brmlab members.  If you choose to use,
> say elinks, then you can personally go and beat the shit out of pasky if you
> find a security flaw in it.

  ;-)

  Note that I do not maintain ELinks since 2004.  I think it may be a
good choice if you want to avoid low-effort or untargeted attacks.  If
anyone cares enough to hire someone to find a security bug to exploit
you, the game is over as I suspect there may be a few undiscovered
vulnerabilities inside, the code was never properly audited.  Also,
ELinks' SSL support is incomplete, sometimes it fails to even establish
connection (maybe some newer protocol version, no idea) and you really
want to look into its current SSL certificate handling before relying on
that (I'm not sure what state it's in, but it might not be pretty).

  But if you are just looking for an uncommon browser to visit some
suspect pages, ELinks should be a very fine choice.

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis