[Brmlab] newsletter

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 6 22:16:51 CET 2011

EN/CZ

Dear All!
I'm sending my first official newsletter. I hope that you are going to enjoy it.
If you would like to stay in touch, please check my web pages from time to time
and send a line, it would be nice.

I would like to thank a lot for your support. I've been able to collect more
than $1500 since the beginning of December allowing me to do what I believe I
should do and I look for “my way” of doing that. I'm finding the promotion of
probiotic beverages and foods very interesting and I want seriously continue
with it.

My next big target is to tour the Europe (I'm in the middle of it) and go for
Japan (end of April).

For more info please check my web pages

http://frantisekapfelbeck.org

especially my newsletter

http://frantisekapfelbeck.org/tiki_wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Newsletter+3%2F3%2F2011

I'm now on a food hacking tour around Europe so it may take me some time to
respond, so please be patient with me.

http://frantisekapfelbeck.org/tiki_wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Hacker+Tour+2011

I wish you all the best,

Sincerely,

Frantisek

CZ

Zdravim ve spolek,
Timto rozesilam svuj prvni oficialni “newsletter”, ktery si doufam uzijete.
Pokud budete chtit zustat v kontaktu, prosim podivejte se cas od casu na me
webove stranky a sem tam napiste, pokusim se zahy odpovedet.

Moc rad bych podekoval za vasi podporu. Od zacatku prosince se mi podarilo
vybrat cca 27 000 Kc, coz mi umoznilo delat to co verim, ze bych mel a hledat
cestu, ktera mi vyhovuje. Vyroba a distribuce probiotickych napoju a potravin me
opravdu zaujala a rad bych se ji nadale profesionalne venoval.

Neblizsimi cily je tura kolem Evropy (na ktere jiz jsem, zitra vyrazim do
Berlina) a dlouhoocekavana cesta do Japonska na konci dubna.

Pro dalsi info se prosim podivejte na me webove stranky

http://frantisekapfelbeck.org

newsletter je zatim pouze v anglictine, pokusim se to brzy napravit

http://frantisekapfelbeck.org/tiki_wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Newsletter+3%2F3%2F2011

informace o ture kolem Evropy jsou v anglictine zde

http://frantisekapfelbeck.org/tiki_wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Hacker+Tour+2011

a jako bombonek pro prave cesky mluvici pridavam novy dopis z cest

http://frantisekapfelbeck.org/tiki_wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Den+Guy+Fawkese+%28CZ

Mejte se vsichni skvele,

S pozdravem,

Frantisek Apfelbeck

PS I've copied the newsletter without the functional links just below.
PS Zde je kopie newsletteru bez funkcnich linek.

Greetings to All!

This is the first official newsletter which I'm sending to the people who fallow
my activities, my life journey. I'm going to do this since now on on a regular
basis once per quarter of the year.

Now lets start with a bit of retrospective. What happened in the last two years
and why you do not know too much about it. The second first, well I was not
systematic enough, short and simple. Now lets say the story.

Well first of all I've left fundamental research and my position at the
department of Biochemistry at National University of Ireland, Galway at the end
of 2008. Since than I've spend several months in Czech Republic in Ceske
Budejovice and left for USA to enjoy some adventures! I've hitch hiked from
Chicago by Interstate 90 in the direction of West coast and after few weeks I
got to Vancouver which I liked very much. From there I've used the same mode of
transport to get to Alaska through British Columbia and Yukon. I've spend a
summer salmon fishing season in Cordova and Valdez sadly known as a place of one
of the biggest oil spillage disasters in the history. However these months full
of wonderful adventures spend in a pristine nature were just amazing, I'll
always remembering these times and you will be able to get a glimpse of them in
my photo gallery and letters from my travels. At the end of August I left for
California stopping in Liard River Hot Springs which I've to recommend to
everyone, crossing Washington and Oregon enjoying the wonderful sights of its
costs, hitting California and it's Redwood Parks finally reaching "City of
liberty" San Francisco.

In SF I've found Noisebridge first hackerspace which was the first hacker space
where I've ever been in to. This community of people was amazing and I really
liked the way how they live and work together. They helped me enormously with my
project of Multimedia Center Build up at Cuba. I've left for Cuba at the end of
October, and stayed until the mid of December and it was just amazing stay.
Complicated but great, I loved the people in the Placetas, Matanzas and
countryside in general and of course my friends in Habana.

I've left Cuba to travel hitch hiking around Central America starting with
Yucatan, going to Belize, crossing to Guatemala where I've enjoyed a week of
lovely pneumonia. I've walked by the Pacific Ocean to San Salvador, staying in
the capital a bit and leaving on the New Years Eve to Honduras which mountains I
liked very much. The final country which I've visited in the direction of South
was Nicaragua where I've stayed for some three weeks visiting Managua where I've
been robed by gang, Granada and San Juan del Sur which I liked very much.
Unfortunately it is also starting to be more and more touristy loosing it's true
spirit. During my stay in this town I've decided to come back to Chiapas
especially to San Cristóbal de Las Casas and served there as a volunteer under
Mexican non profit organization Nataté Voluntariado Internacional.

I've had a great time here, getting to know better the situation in the region
and starting to have a closer ties with the local indigenous people through our
volunteer projects like building houses, cooking, fermenting etc. I've stayed
for four months leaving later on for Oaxaca, Zipolite which is an amazing
Pacific nude beach, and hitch hiked by the coast towards USA through Acapulco,
Lázaro Cárdenas, Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, Tepic etc. to Heroica Nogales,
where I've crossed border to Arizona, USA.

I've managed with bit of troubles to cross the Central Valley where I got sun
burn and I can say that it was probably the worst hitch hiking experience until
now, basically no one would stop. However I got at the end a ride and joint by
one cool guy and I hit finally San Francisco as it should be, hitch hiking and
lightly stoned. I've entered Noisebridge and Three Stone Hearth Kitchen and
began to enjoy my stay in the amazing atmosphere of the San Francisco Bay Area.
I've been learning a lot as a apprentice and brewing master in Three Stone
Hearths (TSH) enjoying their very progressive and unique business model and most
of all amazing community. I've been also experimenting a lot at Noisebridge
co-founding food hacking group called Tastebridge where we have had a brewing
classes and cooking classes, we did a lots of experiments and also promoted our
self on Underground markets which was really great opportunity to try in a fun
way and with support of community what some would like to do for living. People
therefore could learn how to produce their probiotic drinks, bottle them, label
them and sell them, whole circle model for a minimum of expenses.

I've spend my time in San Francisco very actively, visiting also a course of
Japanese at Soko Gakuen language school and enjoying my visited of Japan Town a
lot, especially my favourite Japanese spa Kabuki Springs & Spa which I can
recommend to everyone. Also my active involvement in nudism was great
remembering visits of my friend Darius, enjoying the nudist dinners, my
relaxation time at Baker Beach and certainly not forgetting my wonderful trip
with Darius to visit his friends, very nice gay couple at Cobb Mountain and
enjoying a short stay in a Harbin Hot Springs which I truly loved and I would
like to recommend to everyone to visit!

The half year which I've spend in SF Bay Area was amazing but I can say that at
the end I was ready to go. I've confirmed to myself that I'm not a city person
and I will never be. It was important experience which has shown me many things
through which I'll go later on. To finish this part of the story you could find
me on 8th of December packed with the fly ticket in my hand to Narita, Japan.
Well not having a newly required "transit visa" for Canada the trip did not
happen in stead I had to come back to Europe. I've used this opportunity to join
as a food hacker one of the biggest annual hacker conferences around the world
at 27th Chaos Communication Congress where I've been actively promoting food
hacking both by lightning talk, workshops and food preparation. I've returned
home to relax a bit because I was still quite exhausted after the SF. Very soon
I've started to work on a preparation of my [hacker tour|food hacking tour]]
around Europe and Japan, starting at Progress Bar log of the event in Bratislava
on a full moon of 18th of February. The next stop is Brmlab in Prague and after
that hopefully Chaoskueste in Kiel and many others for more details please see
the [Hacker tour 2011|hacker tour page]].

Now when we are up to date, what is next?

Well there are certainly many things which has to be done. The major tasks are
now regular weekly updates of my activities on my news page and another one is
the creation of the mailing list. I'm also starting to focus more on my
finances, trying to fallow my financial plan for 2011, which I've set at least
at $6000 and which I've still quite a way to finish.

However the major things which happen in the last year or two was the
confirmation that the sustainable development (sd) as a field of interest is
really suitable for me. The realization that food production and conservation
with the use of fermentations is something what I really would like to do as my
specialization was pivotal for me. It had a strong influence on my stay in
Mexico learning with indigenous people their way of utilization of Indian corn,
discovering the preparation of pineapple vinegar in Cuban countryside, learning
a lot in a medium scale production facility of Three Stone Hearth Kitchen and of
course preparing my stay in Japan.

I believe that this stay is going to be crucial for my future direction because
the knowledge of probiotic foods in Japanese culture is one of the deepest on
the world. I would like to study this art in Japan at least for a year. In the
same time I've decided to work intensively on the improvement of my physical
condition and my body posture especially, because it is absolutely crucial for
my well being and I've deliberately omit it by a great deal for more than a
decade. Anyone who would know some interesting life foods production facility in
Japan and some lovely health spa, please let me know, I'm really ready for it!

If I make a small projection of years to come I would like to keep the course.
Learning more about food and drink fermentations in rural indigenous areas,
combining them with today's scientific knowledge and technology, food hacking is
something what I feel is being very beneficial for me and the society. I would
like to help to improve already existing businesses and their production
processes hoping to obtain more experience, port folio and funds. This I would
like to combine with presentation from my travels, workshops on probiotic foods
and publications of "letters from my travels". If I summarise all this together
I should be able to do what I want as I want and support myself. It may happen
that I start my own business, cooperative or community some day when I settle
down somewhere but I think it is still few years in the future because I want to
keep moving and seeing new things for a bit more. Now there were recently some
questions about my relations to girls, probably because of my close ties to many
gay, lesbian and transsexual people. Well, if I meet a girl who would be willing
to spend her life with me and I feel the "spark" being present, than I would go
for it. Otherwise I rather walk alone.

Here I feel that it is time to wish you all the best and hope that more and more
people will find their life more fulfilling. If I can help to spread this growth
and prosperity around me by doing what I believe in, that would be great. If
anyone would like to support me please get in touch or make a contribution by
the donation, I do appreciate it.

Have a great time and please stay in touch!

Sincerely,

Frantisek

::PS Please note that the first two newsletters will be send to the people who's
contact details I have, after that just to the ones who sign for the mailing
list which is in preparation. All newsletters will be posted and archived on the
web pages.