[Brmlab] Laser Hacking #3

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Wed Dec 15 06:01:57 CET 2010

Awesome!!! Congratulations!

Now, we have to figure out the meaning of the usbinit log. Because
simply using it without understanding it is similar to our previous
condition of using proprietary software.

Actually, if our theory that this usbinit performs a firmware upload
is correct, then it is precisely proprietary software that we are
still relying on and that must be fixed.

The benefits of understanding the firmware upload protocol is that we
can create our own free firmware for the device, which opens up
several interesting possibilities for improving the laser display.

Well... I've been dealing a lot recently with this issue of devices
that require non-free firmware in order to work properly. That means I
already have some ideas of strategies that we can try:

Strategy 1:

Inspect the windows driver trying to find blocks of data that are
similar to the usbinit log. This can be useful to give us a clearer
idea of which bytes in the log are firmware code and which ones are
just part of the fw upload protocol.

Strategy 2:

try to disassembly some portions of the usbinit log using a 8051
disassembler. Try to identify something that looks like valid code.
Use that information to thing again about the structure of the
firmware upload protocol.

Lets do it?

cheers,
Felipe Sanches